Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec grew up in the French countryside and moved to Paris after completing their educations.
As partners in design since the 1990s, the brothers value what their relationship brings to their work.
"The fact that we can discuss everything openly and honestly with each other is important because often creativity does not come
from a rational point of view but an emotional one," says Erwan. "It's about finding a certain balance or character when you are
looking for solutions to problems that are difficult to solve."
They feel the design process itself is similar to any of the arts because it's about using one's talents to make something people enjoy and appreciate.
"Like a guitarist who uses only six strings to create something marvelous, a stitch placed just so on a pillow brings real beauty to it," says Erwan.
Awards / Recognition:
- Premio Compasso d'Oro ADI Award, Steelwood Chair, 2011
- Designer of the Year Award for Now! Maison & Objet, Paris, 2011
- Danish Design Award, Copenhagen, 2010
- International Contemporary Furniture Fair (ICFF) Award for Outdoor Furniture, Vegetal Chair, 2009
- Finn-Juhl Prize, Copenhagen, 2008
- "Best of the Best" Red Dot Design Awards for the Worknest office and Facett collection, 2008, 2005 respectively
- Designers of the Year, Salon du Meuble, 2002
- New Designer Award, ICFF, New York, 1999
- Grand Prix du Design, Paris, 1998